The bluebells are an unmistakable bell-shaped perennial wild flowers around Glenny Wood in April and May. They are a delight to see, and our woodland slopes become wonderful expanse of deep violet-blue.
Please avoid trampling over them, so damaging the natural display. It can take the plants up to 5 years to recover.
Also from a safety perspective blue bell plants are very, very slippery to walk on, whilst flowering and afterwards, so be very careful please when out on our Wooded slopes.
All parts of the bluebell plant contain toxic glycosides that are poisonous to humans and animals including dogs, horses, and cattle. Ingestion of any parts of the plant such as flowers, leaves or bulbs causes a lowering of the pulse rate, nausea, diarrhoea and vomiting. In some people, direct contact with the plant can cause skin irritation.
So look, enjoy and don’t eat or touch the Bluebells. Always wash your hands thoroughly after activities out in the Woods.
Find out more facts about the bluebells in the Woodland Trust website >>>>>