Here are some ideas on field study activities you can do with beavers, cubs and Scouts. Activities selected will depend on the learner’s age, stage of development and interests:
1. Minibeast hunts
- set out an small (1m square area) for your young people to explore what creatures they can find in it.
- Use the guides to identify the creatures.
- To book the Minibeasts hunting box go to our booking form SFL>>>>
2. Pond dipping
- Book the pond area, where you will find nets and trays and magnifying glasses along with identification sheets.
- See Wetlands and book for a great evening SFL Wetlands>>>>
3. Tree identification
- Go on a hunt around Glenny wood to find as many varieties of trees as you can
- Use the Leaf hunt laminated sheets to identify them and see which team gets back with all of them found.
- Use a leaders / adults phone to photograph them to prove they found them.
- To book the Tree identification information go to our booking form SFL>>>>
4. Bird watching
- Use the posters on the lodge to identify the birds you see around Glenny wood.
5. Environmental Scavenger hunt
- Split into small groups – brief on the items and any dangers i.e. berries some being poisonous and some edible and eating leaves unless they know what they are etc.
- Try to collect as many of the items on the laminated sheets as possible.
- To book the Environmental Scavenger hunt information go to our booking form SFL>>>>